Friday 21 December 2007

Christmas Presents


Without wanting to cast gloom over the proceedings, it makes me think that Christmas is very much about other people, and how bad news always seems worse at this time of year.

Yesterday three of my friends had bad news.

One has been told she has osteoarthritis and is terrified that she is going to lose all mobility and end up in a wheelchair. I think this highly unlikely, because she’s very active, but she has been in pain for a long time and is to have a thorough examination at the beginning of January. But as you can imagine, it’s not done much to uplift her spirits.

The second came in a phone call from someone who hasn’t been happy with her husband for a while. Well, years. She has always worked her butt off, cleaning and cooking and doing all the shopping as well as working seven days a week (she’s self employed) while her husband does – well, nothing would cover it.

Their marriage is over which should make her feel better, but she feels it’s all her fault, and for some reason she’s the one leaving the family home and the cat. (She is going to work in America in January for 2 months which has some bearing on who looks after the cat.)

How sad though. To have tried so very hard at a marriage that obviously wasn’t working, and to feel that she’s failed. I do feel for her so much.

The third is from a dear mate who’s just discovered her father is very ill.

Happy Christmas, eh?

But on a brighter note, I doubt I will get any work done today. As my Christmas preparations are zilch, I’d better get a move on.

And I’m meeting another writer, Liz Fenwick, this morning for coffee. She’s a member of the RNA and of the Novel Racers, and spends part of her time in Dubai and nips back to Cornwall when she can. It’s always great to meet other writers and will be a good chance to indulge in writerly chat/gossip for an hour or so. Called networking, you know?

I also have to buy presents, decorate the house, walk the dog, have my hair cut, and meet friends in the pub.

Yesterday was the most beautiful afternoon and a friend and I took Mollie out on the Woodland Walk at Trelissick (see picture above - not mine but that's what it looks like). It was the first sunny day for what felt like weeks, and although the sun was low in the sky, it painted the woods a soft gold, the sky a palest Wedgewood blue, the sea a clear emerald green.

I got back to find a card from a friend saying, ‘thanks for wonderful walks and for invaluable friendship.’

I couldn’t get better presents than those two.

20 comments:

laurie said...

that picture looks just like where we went hiking this past fall! (it's not my picture, is it?)

i'm so sorry about your friends' troubles. my husband's mother is in the hospital now--she's been there for three full weeks. so stresses abound, even during this season of love and lights.

enjoy your outing today with your friend. you deserve a lot of joy.

Philipa said...

flowerpot, you just made me realise the importance of staying in touch. Sadly my babe is poorly so Christmas might be cancelled (but all I will care about is that she is Ok) I'm so very sad to hear about the bad news, you are right - bad news seems out of place at Xmas. Celebrating Christmas always seems the celebration of new hope and an attitude of tolerance and new beginnings. I hope your friend finds renewed strength in America and best wishes to all who are dealing with difficult times. I wish you a happier new year.

Flowerpot said...

laurie no it's not your picture but someone sent them to Himself (or was that you?!!...) I'm so sorry to hear about your mother in law - may she recover soon if possible. Hope you enjoy the festivities a bit.

philipa - so sorry to hear about your babe - I do hope she recovers quickly. After all Christmas is several days away yet. Have a great time and new year also.

Cornish Dreamer said...

Hello FP. Sounds like you had a lovely walk.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends' troubles. Problems at Christmas always seem more difficult to cope with because they are at Christmas (&, I suppose, beause it's supposed to be a happy time).

I hope your writing meeting went well.

RT

Flowerpot said...

RT - the good news is that James is going to his daughter for christmas day - hooray! Had a good meeting with Liz thanks, so a good day!

Akelamalu said...

It's so sad when friends get bad news, especially at this time of year. At least you're there for them. x

Ellee Seymour said...

I have a feeling if we lived closer that we would have lots of lovely walks together too. It is certainly important to appreciate friendships, good health and family.

I've got a poorly soldier too, but he'll pull through in time for Christmas. I'm on antibiotics too for an infection in the root of my tooth.

I wish you a wonderful Christmas.

Elaine Denning said...

I think Christmas is a time to be thankful for our health, our families...and how lucky we are to have what we have...even if we do moan about it all sometimes.

I wish all of your friends the strength to overcome their dificulties and hope that next year s happier for them all.

Great news about James...I'm so pleased for him.

Unknown said...

It was great finally meet in person :-) Look forward to catching up again soon!

Flowerpot said...

Ak - yes things seem worse at christmas dont they?

ellee - yes what a shame you are so far away. So sorry to hear about your tooth - hope you are able to enjoy eating even if you can't polish off bottles of wine!

Flowerpot said...

Miss - yes today is very much a friends day - or will be when we've finished the shopping. I feel utterly shopwrecked, and nearly lost the will to live in this huge Tesco over at Redruth. But we are lucky to be healthy. Have a great Christmas yourself!

Flowerpot said...

Liz - yes I did enjoy meeting and look forward to next time. Coffee's on me then!

Anonymous said...

To hear about your friends is deeply sad.

Have a great time meeting Liz. She sounds such a lovely person.

Crystal xx

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

Beautiful woods - lucky Mollie.

Have a lovely coffee with Liz.

Cathy said...

Glad you had a good time with Liz.

Merry Christmas!

Cx

Flowerpot said...

Crystal - yes Liz and I had a wonderfully writerly natter!

Fiona - yes glorious woods indeed.

Cathy - thanks and a lovely Christmas to you too!

Irene said...

If the woods you walked in looked like that, you are a lucky woman indeed. Merry Christmas.

Lane Mathias said...

Merry Christmas flowerpot and all the absolute best for next year:-)
x

Flowerpot said...

sweet irene - the woods are almost like this, but most of the leaves have fallen from the trees now!

lane - and a happy Christmas to you and everyone!

the rotten correspondent said...

It's so hard when bad things happen when all the world is supposed to be so "happy", at least in the imagination. My grandfather died on Christmas Day a few years ago, and it's been very bittersweet ever since.

So happy you have such dear mates to lift your soul.