Friday 18 January 2008

Bad news and scavenging

The bad news is that the agent has turned my novel down. He just "didn't love it enough to take it what is a very crowded marketplace." However he did have a suggestion that could be useful and he did say that he liked the characters and plot. So that's progress of a kind.

But it's still a bummer. I will send it out again, of course. Rejection is part of the game and I wish it got easier. It doesn’t. Each rejection still hurts just as much, but I skim a layer of anti-hurt cream on now. I’m not sure that it does much good, but I can kid myself. Who knows, I might be able to market it and make a fortune?

The good news is that we’re becoming professional scavengers now, always on the lookout for burnable wood.

On the beach the other day, my friend Sue and I walked our dogs in a howling gale and scoured the beach for driftwood. I found one piece – the rest was wet, knobbly seaweed, slimy and a curious dark green/brown colour.

As we walked back to our cars, we noticed a skip outside the cafĂ© which is being renovated. ‘Look!’ said Sue. The skip was piled with wood that had been ripped out of the decking.

So we scurried off, got two large plastic bags and filled them up. The wood’s soaking, of course, we’ve had so much rain, but it can dry out in the garage.

Himself was so pleased that when we went down there this morning to walk Moll, he asked the foreman of the job if he could bring a trailer down to pick up the rest of the wood. The foreman said that was fine, to come down within the hour.

The next difficulty was getting Barrie organised (he’s the one with the trailer.) Barrie rang at about ten last night, fresh from the pub, saying he’d be happy to offer his trailer for the wood if Himself would repair a goat leg table.

I’ve never come across such a thing, and neither had Himself, but given that Barrie had probably been in the pub since six, neither of us worried too much about that.

By some miracle this morning Barrie was not only up but remembered the gist of the conversation last night, so the two men have gone off on a serious scavenge.

We had to get some more coal as well and stocked up this morning after walking the dog. As we’ve got some cheap stuff that doesn’t burn well, I suggested we get some decent stuff that will last longer.

‘This is what they recommend,’ said Himself when we met in the coal department. ‘It’s Welsh.’

I looked down and there, in large letters, was written,
WELSH ANTHRACITE
LARGE NUTS

What more could a girl ask for?

25 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Sounds like you're set for some enjoyable evenings in front of the fire !:-)

Flowerpot said...

lane - i sure hope so!!

Lane Mathias said...

ps fp. Sorry about the agent. Lather on the cream and send it out again!
x

Flowerpot said...

lane - thanks - I've just done that to both!

Anonymous said...

Very disappointing for you. Keep trying but I expect you will do that. I am entering a competition in the North East with part of my novel so I guess I'll find out sooner or later how naff it is!

Crystal xx

Flowerpot said...

Crystal - best of luck with your competition. Some of them can be a really useful start so let me know how you get on!

Akelamalu said...

Oh sorry to hear about the rejection Flowerpot but we love your writing so *raspberry* to the publisher!

Good luck on the wood huntin.

Flowerpot said...

Ak - thanks very much. Most inspiring. Me? I'm off to the pub shortly...

Ellee Seymour said...

You've got to suffer a bit before you experience success, don't give up hope. I wish I had time and would read the manuscript for you. It may be worth finding another agent to check it out for you.

Irene said...

A girl should always ask for large nuts, be they Welsh or not, although I have no experience with them myself, so you will have to let us know about that yourself.

Sorry to hear about the rejected novel. These people get so many manuscripts and turn down so many too. Just keep trying. You are a good and witty writer, there must be a market for that.

Unknown said...

(((()))s on the R. I think you are getting closer and closer all the time. Love the Welsh coal - nearly spilt my coffe on that one :-)

Flowerpot said...

ellee - it's been doing the rounds so several agents have looked at it unfortunately! And several more will, I hope!

sweet ireene - many thanks for that. Confidence much restored!

Liz - thanks for that. And I know you know how it feels! Sorry about the coffee....

laurie said...

this was a great post.

my brother does the same thing, scavanging wood for his wood-burning stove. they heat their house with it all winter, but they live in a much more temperate climate than we do, so they don't need huge supplies.

he just goes out into the woods and hauls home some big branches and chops 'em up.

sorry about the agent. but you do need one who is thoroughly enthusiastic, so he was right to say no if he didn't think he could really push it.

the right agent will come along. you'll see.

Philipa said...

Harry Potter was turned down loads of times before publication.

Oh I so miss my real fires, you can get benefit from rubbish instead of landfill. Anthracite is the best isn't it? I love large nuts, smooth, fuzz-free, large nuts :-))

Flowerpot said...

laurie - both the wood and the nuts are burning well thanks! And also for the comments about the agent. Yes I do need one to be enthusiastic, you're quite right. I just hope that one comes along soon. It's been years so far, inching nearer each time!

Flowerpot said...

philipa - thanks for the reassurance, and as for nuts - well, what more can I say?!!

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I'm so sorry FP {hugs}, I do admire your persistance and I know that that is what is going to get you published!

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Flower Pot, have you ever come across Lulu.com? I came across it by accident today and immediately thought about you. How about self-publishing?gp

Flowerpot said...

AOJ - many thanks for both. I have heard of Lulu.com and have heard mixed views of it. I'm not sure about distribution which is the main problem with self publishing to say nothing of marketing. But many thanks for the mention, I might look into it further.

Akelamalu said...

PS I tagged you for a little linky love - hope you don't mind. :)

Chris Stovell said...

Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear about the agent, you are being very grown up - I would still be in hissy-fit mode at the moment. It's good that you have received from helpful advice though - as Liz F says it must mean you're nearly there. Keep the faith.

Beth said...

That sucks but keep trying - I'm sure you'll find an agent who will take it on.

Flowerpot said...

ak - thanks I'll go take a look.

chrish - thanks. In fact I had some much worse news via a friend which put the agent into perspective! But yes I'm a lot closer.

Beth - thanks for your encouragement!

the rotten correspondent said...

Large nuts and stupid publishers. Now there's a topic for you.

I'm so sorry, Flowerpot. But we all know you'll get there. You just need a nice break.

Marcie Steele said...

Oh, flowerpot. I've been rejected this week too. I'm afraid I'm a misery guts on my blog so I know how you feel. My word count for book three has stopped but I know I'll get back into it soon, just as you will. There's always another agent just around the corner xx