Thursday 14 February 2008

Valentine's Day


many thanks to AOJ who nominated me for this award. It is highly suitable for Valentine's Day and I therefore donate it to anyone of my regular bloggers - I wouldn't read yours if I didn't enjoy them!

And on the note of Valentine's Day - I got a card, a bunch of pinks and two packets of bulbs - freesias and Dicentra, which is something that I've never heard of before.

It has lots of very beautiful heart shaped red flowers encircled with white (or it does on the packet) rather like a Japanese type of flower. Or how I imagine a Japanese flower would look like. Delicate and numerous.

By the time I plant it and it comes up, I will long have forgotten its name. You can tell my sort of gardening - I love my tubs but I tend to get things, bulbs or whatever, and stick them in, forget about them and celebrate when they come up. It's such a lovely surprise.

But back to the presents. We never usually "do" Valentine's Day so I'm afraid my dearest has caught me on the hop. I got him a card - of a close up of a dog that looks a little like the other woman in his life, but with a bow round its neck. Very cute.

I pondered over a present. Usually I get him things and he gets embarrassed because he hasn't got me anything (due to finances: he's the most generous person in the world). So I was going to get him a pair of trousers in the sale and then I thought no. He'll only huff and puff. So I went into Marks and they had heart shaped packets of chocolates - which neither of us eat. They give him mouth ulcers and make me hyperactive.

Chocolate out.

Fizzy wine? No, both of us loathe champagne or anything fizzy.

I went into the men's department and they had wallets - he has one. A bow tie. Excuse me - this is the man who doesn't even possess a suit... Aftershave? He never wears it.

So I walked home past the health food shop and suddenly I thought, I know! And I ran inside and there I found exactly what I know he will love.

A packet of dried bananas.

You may mock but he started eating them at 2 minutes to 7 this morning.

As I put the packet on one side, I looked over at the Dicentra packet and noticed its English name. Bleeding Heart.

Think he's trying to tell me something?

18 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

lol dried bananas are a great present ... as are bulbs:-)

Jenny Beattie said...

Bleeding hearts, eh? Oh that made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that, Flowerpot.
JJx

laurie said...

oh, bleeding hearts are so beautiful! they are a spring flower, and they spread--get wide and bushy. i started with one small plant 12 years ago and now i have them in several places in the yard.

a very very lovely gift.

and i approve of the dried bananas--a sweet indulgence that he likes. perfect.

i love your valentine's story.

Flowerpot said...

lane - yes I think so!

jj - well I wasnt sure whether to be offended....

laurie - thanks for that. Got any pictures of them? I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Cornish Dreamer said...

Bleeding hearts are beautiful FP, a wonderful gift! As are dried bananas ;@) - much better than getting him something he doesn't need!

Flowerpot said...

RT - glad you agree and hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Flowerpot said...

RT - glad you agree and hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Dried bananas might be an unusual present but it sounds like they were very much enjoyed.

I had to look up what a Bleeding Heart looked like, aren't they pretty?

Flowerpot said...

debs - dried bananas are much underestimated - try them!

Anonymous said...

You are a very lucky Flowerpot. Hope you have enjoyed your special day together.

Crystal xx

MarmiteToasty said...

I love 'bleeding heart' plants... I have the pinkish one and a pure white one...... do you know they are sometimes also called 'lady in the bath' cos if you pick off one of the hearts, turn it upside down so that the little teardrop part of the plant is pointing upwards, then GENTLY pull the side of the heart outwards - it looks like a posh lady sitting upright in a bath :)......

x

Ellee Seymour said...

I have some plants called bleeding hearts, they are stunning, you must look for some. Happy Valentine's Day.

Little Wing said...

I happen to like dried bananas AND bleeding hearts flowers!!!!!
A win-win for the both of you!!!!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I garden like you do. More fun that way! Glad you had a lovely Valentine's Day.

Elaine Denning said...

Those flowers are so pretty.

I have a peter (penis) pepper on my wndowsill which is just starting to flower. I can't wait for the peppers to appear!

I have no idea why I shared that with you, lol.

Flowerpot said...

Crystal - yes I am. And we had a good day thanks - hope you did too.

marmite - I love that - lady in the bath - I will try that and remember it!!! Thanks for that.

ellee - I will be interested to see if that's what they look like when they come up!

Flowerpot said...

little wing - that makes two us then!

Julia - and I hope you had a good one, too.

MissU - I trust you will post a picture of said flower when it does....!!

Akelamalu said...

Every year I get MWM a valentine's card and when I give it to him he says "I thought we agreed last year we weren't doing Valentines Day?" :( There's always next year I suppose!