Friday 25 July 2008

Zero balancing and cartoonists

I had a wonderful zero balancing session last week courtesy of the lady I interviewed several weeks ago. It was much needed: it had been a strange week and as I’m still having sleep problems, it was wonderful to have 45 minutes to myself to zonk out.

Zero Balancing uses touch to balance body energy with body structure. The work is gentle to receive but potentially powerful in effect, capable of helping a wide range of people at many different levels. Finger pressure and held stretches encourage the release of tension in the body and as a result, emotional and physical problems may be resolved and symptoms relieved. Zero balancing aims to balance a person on all levels – mind, body and soul – and coax them back to optimum health.

Zero balancing was developed in 1975 by a Californian, Dr Fritz Smith, who was an osteopath, physician and acupuncturist. He tried to bring together the Western concept of wellness with the concepts of energy and healing used routinely in the East, combining osteopathy with acupuncture, where you work purely with body energy. The name arose from a recipient’s description of the session she had just received, meaning that she felt her body had been set back as nature intended.

During a session you have a chat about whatever might be bothering you (if anything) then I lay on my back on a couch (no need to strip off) and she did these wonderfully gentle stretches. My brain was still whirring round (it takes a lot to stop that) but having been feeling decidedly jet lagged, I emerged feeling refreshed and clearer. I also slept better, albeit with a little chemical intervention.

Zero balancing is derided by many of the medical profession as, like many alternative therapies, there’s no scientific evidence that it works. But it has been used very successfully in treating emotional trauma – for instance, women who have been raped or sexually abused, and to help migraine, stress and tension. It’s also good for whiplash and muscular problems.
So if you feel in need of a boost, whether emotional or physical, I’d recommend a session.

And on that note, I must go. I've had a busy journalistic week with no time for fiction (that's next week). Need to finish off a piece on a coastal walk and one on a cartoonist. Have a look at his website here – Nick Brennan - I think he’s incredibly talented. He's also a very likeable fellow with a quiet, self deprecating sense of humour. His wife is lovely and his dog - well, I am smitten. By the dog, I hasten to add.

Have a good weekend!

7 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

That sounds as if it would hit the spot for me nicely, Flowerpot. Interesting that it's good for migraines too - I'm a sufferer. I hope you get a few good nights sleep now.

And thank you for your good wishes after the sailing nightmare. I'm glad it's over for now!

Elaine Denning said...

That sounds like something I could do with right now. Bet it's expensive though.

Flowerpot said...

chrish - if there's anyone near you I would recommend it Chris - I'm sure you would enjoy it! Glad you're home safe and well.

Flowerpot said...

MissU - it's £35 per session so yes it is expensive. But for a birthday treat or something?

Maggie May said...

Have never ever heard of this, but it sounds pretty effective.

Flowerpot said...

Maggie - no it's not widely known - but good!

Liane Spicer said...

I'd love to try this. It sounds like just the kind of gentle stress relief I could use, with my persistent tension headaches and migraines and all. I'll ask around and see if anyone around here does it.