Wednesday 25 July 2012

Book launch here we come!

Here's the official invitation picture of the front cover of my book, together with one of Suzanne Crook's paintings - we're having a joint preview/book launch on Saturday at Pizza Express in Falmouth from 7-9pm. Do come if you're anywhere near!

Learning how to be a writer in terms of marketing is, as I know all other published writers will say, a steep learning curve and one outside our normal mode of operation. Deadlines, words, computers, stress etc., yes we all know those. But suddenly a door opens and I have a BOOK to market – to be precise I have a box of 100 of them in my hall, ready for the Penzance Literary Festival, where I am to give a presentation on Saturday afternoon, before the book launch.

I’m much more nervous about the talk, as that involves a presentation with slides. I’d planned to go down to Morrab Library to do a recce weeks ago but one day their phone was out of action, and last week I was housebound with tummy bug. So I earmarked yesterday (Tuesday).

Then last Friday I realised that the van needed its MOT and I have to pay the tax next week. Garage fitted me in yesterday morning and I left it there, took Moll for a slow walk (legs still not working properly) and had a cup of tea sitting in the sun, rejoiced in the fact that summer had arrived and the van was soon to be sorted.

Got back to garage to find it had failed its MOT and the garage couldn’t fix it until Thursday morning. I nearly wept when I realised about my Penzance recce. Two of my best friends who I’d normally beg for a lift are away, but I finally got a lift with my dear Swedish friend who sacrificed an afternoon’s sailing in order to get me out of a pickle. I grovelled to her and her husband, and thought, well I’ll go and get her lots of flowers from the Farmers Market: she loves fresh flowers. So I bought up the stall of dahlias and pinks, sent her an email asking her which she prefers. The reply came back, “Neither, sorry.” Well, at least I get lots of flowers and will buy her some more. But the recce was a good idea, and I feel a bit more confident about the talk having had a run through with several friends now.

But summer has arrived which makes everything more bearable. While I was on holiday recently, I was in Helston with a friend who got me a lovely green cotton skirt from a charity shop – the kind that floats and swings happily when I walk, is gorgeously cool and is one of those skirts that just makes me feel good. Since getting it, of course it’s been far too cold to wear, but yesterday I dug the skirt out and wore it all day. If the weather keeps up, I’ll wear it every day…..

But back to books - think of me on Saturday when my guts will be churning in front of a probably non-existent audience in Morrab Library at 2pm. Then I race back for the book launch which is from 7-9pm at Pizza Express in Falmouth so if any of you lot are around, do drop in!

Not that I’m superstitious, but I shall be wearing my lucky knickers AND my lucky silver necklace. Given the last couple of weeks, I’m not taking any chances.

27 comments:

Jane Lovering said...

Oh, I so wish I could be there! Best of luck with the whole book launch and marketing stuff, and I have to say that the book looks fascinating, will have to get hold of a copy for next time we bring the dogs down to the South West! Do the walks give 'suitability for dogs' labels, or can we just bring them along and take our chances?

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Jane! The walks are ALL suitable for dogs - they have to be or I wouldn't do them with Moll!

Pat Posner said...

Oh, best of luck from me and woofy luck from Tim and Ted.
We'll be there in spirit

xxPat

Pat Posner said...

Well, think my comment disappeared!

Best of luck from me and woofy luck from Tim and Ted!
We'll be there in spirit
xxPat

Flowerpot said...

Thanks so much, Pat! Mollie is coming to the talk in the afternoon, but won't be there for the party. Bit too much excitement I think!

Lyn said...

Good luck! Will be getting hold of it for our next trip to Cornwall!
xx

Akelamalu said...

I'll be keeping everything crossed for you, hope it goes perfectly. x

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Lyn that's great news! xx

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Ak - no way it will go perfectly, knowing my life, but I hope it will be fun!

Sally said...

Really sorry I can't be there but please earmark a copy for me! (What a strange expression that is!)

All the best for a brilliant day from the talk to the launch. Your skirt sounds lovely and your lucky knickers will 'be there' for you!
Sally
xx

Flowerpot said...

Sally - so sorry you can't be there, too but of course I will sign a copy for you. As for the lucky knickers - well let's hope they do their job!! xx

Dc said...

Far to far away to attend but would have done. Good luck, hope your lucky knickers stay up and the contents of your stomach stay down!

Unknown said...

That`s fantastic news about the book launch! Best of luck with it all!!

Flowerpot said...

That's brilliant I must remember that, thanks DC!!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Sarina!

Melissa Amateis said...

Best of luck with everything! How exciting it all is!

Rena George said...

Hi Flowerpot, If you can postpone the book launch until September, I’ll be there, but I’m guessing this might not happen. Never mind, I’ll have to content myself with being with you in spirit. Go get ‘em, girl! Rena

Flowerpot said...

Rena - sorry not possible but I know you'll be with us in spirit!

Flowerpot said...

Melissa - my brain is so full of all kinds of stuff I haven't time to be excited but hope that will happen on Saturday!

Talli Roland said...

Whoop whoop! Happy launching! I'm sure it will be fabulous, and what a lovely cover!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Talli - once I get the talk over I can relax!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous cover!

Happy Launch day on Saturday. I'm sure it will be a resounding success and wish I could be there too. x

Colette McCormick said...

I have total admiration for anyone who gives a presentation. Not my cup of tea at all. Good luck x

Flowerpot said...

I don't know that it's my cup of tea either Colette!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Debs - I wish you could be here too!

Carol White said...

I hope the book launch was a huge success yesterday. I will definately be buying a copy!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Carol - it went really well but incredibly emotional afterwards. Thanks for buying a copy - really appreciate that.