Wednesday 9 January 2013

Compliments, more rejections and forward planning

http://youtu.be/VLIzjMtkqLc

This clip is from As Good As It Gets, one of my favourite films. With one of my best mates, I've seen it so many times, but there’s always something new in the script, or the acting, both of which are incredible and never fail to touch me, make me laugh, and make me cry. Here’s Melvyn attempting to pay Carole the best compliment of his – and her – life. (I love her expression at his first kiss!) Time to watch it again, definitely.

Talking of tears – over the last few days I’ve managed not to cry at all - other than at a flashmob video and a Kate Rusby number. Oh, and the film Quartet last night. And coming back from Mum’s. But I've always cried very easily and just now it doesn't take much to get me going. It doesn't mean I'm miserable; just that my emotions are very near the surface.

I’m continuing to send the novel out to agents and managed to get two rejections in one morning which must be a record – of kinds. But I’ve made a list of all the agents I will send it to, and will work my way through that. I started reading it again a few days ago, and to my astonishment, I'm really enjoying it. So if I can enjoy it, someone else must.

Luckily I’ve got other work on and yesterday went to interview the station manager of Source FM (very good looking fellow), the community radio in Falmouth and Penryn, who interviewed me for their version of Desert Island Discs last summer. I’ve done several radio interviews and was stunned by how professional they were – so good luck to them. If you fancy a listen, it’s broadcast on 96.1FM

I’m also planning my next walks – two in South East Cornwall which have to be done in January. Looking at the OS map - the area my editor asked for - this is low lying woodland. Given the rain we’ve had over the past few months, I’m just hoping it doesn’t rain too much between now and the end of January, which is when I’m also booked to review some dog friendly accommodation, thereby killing two reviews with one Flowerpot.

On a non-work note, I’m looking forward to some boating soon, and this afternoon we’re starting rehearsals for our Poly gig in February where Paul, Janet and I will be singing some numbers in a trio.

And I leave you with ponderings over the Clustermap on this blog. If you click on it, it shows who’s looked at my blog recently, worldwide. I’m stunned to see that people from Ireland, Nebraska, Holland and Birmingham have been reading it. So who are you all, and why don’t you leave a message? Go on – I’d love to hear from you.


22 comments:

Pat Posner said...

Hugs for the 'tearful' moments, Flowerpot - and for the 2 rejections at once!

Good luck with finding an agent and enjoy the walks.

xxPat

Flowerpot said...

Pat - well, we all have those teary moments, don't we? I always enjoy the walks, it would just be lovely to have some dry ones, wiht a bit of sun!

Akelamalu said...

I hope you find less things to cry about and more to make you smile in 2013. xx

Flowerpot said...

Oh dear I didn't mean it to be a gloomy post, Ak. I do just cry very easily at the moment but it's not because I'm unhappy! Lots to look forward to for 2013. xx

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how many people ponder over blogs without leaving comments - I think that's got worse over the years!!

You have a lot on your plate, a lot to look forward to from the sounds of it. Sorry to hear about the rejections but all par for the course.

CJ x

Flowerpot said...

CJ - it is strange, isn't it? You're right - rejections are all part of it. Funny old life being a writer....

Chloe said...

I am in Devon! And I too, have had the two rejections in the same post day. (Plus another by e-mail the following day). What doesn't kill you and all that...

Flowerpot said...

Chloe - oh you poor thing! But yes, you're quite right. It doesn't kill us, but makes us stronger. (DOesn't it?!)

Chris Stovell said...

I had two rejections in a morning just before I got the brilliant news about TTT - it must be sign, Sue! Gosh, you've got a lot on your plate, both good and not so good, so it's not surprising you're a bit weepy. I hope 2013 brings you lots of the good and the novel contract you so deserve.

Flowerpot said...

Chris - thanks that's very encouraging! have I got a lot on my plate? This seems normal to me - and I don't write about the rest of it! That's so kind of you though, thanks so much. I hope 2013 brings you everything you wish for, too.xx

Jane Lovering said...

A quick comment from Yorkshire - every writer has a file full of rejection letters! And can I join the 'cry easily' club, please? I once cried at a toilet roll advert (but, come on, puppies....)

Flowerpot said...

Jane - yes, you're quite right! It's just that I've had a break from rejections so coming back to it makes it harder! Glad to meet another member of the Cry Easily Club. Of COURSE you cry at toilet roll ads - that's mandatory!

Rena George said...

As far as I can see, you are doing exactly the right things, i.e. continuing with your projects and writing new stuff while you await agents' responses. It's all any of us can do.
I loved the sound of your novel when you described it recently, Sue. So hopefully there is an agent out there who recognises its worth.
And yes, it's frustrating when your blog gets hits from people in so many countries who don't post comments, but we can always rely on our trusted friends.
Wish I could come down to Cornwall and go on some of those walks with you.
Take care.
xx

Flowerpot said...

Rena - thank you, and also for your comments my novel. If you ever come to Cornwall please do get in touch and we will walk together!

Rena George said...

Aw, thank you, Sue. That sounds wonderful. x

Flowerpot said...

Rena - just let me know! x

Colette McCormick said...

Good luck finding an agent. I have to say that I love reading about what you are up to - especially the singing. You are an inspiration.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Colette - that's very cheering!

Morton S Gray said...

I'm with you on the easy to cry thing. My step-dad died just before Christmas - Mom and I had a good cry when I popped in for coffee yesterday. She had 120 sympathy cards!

I'm waiting to read that novel, so you'd better get it published soon! I have also enjoyed reading some of my own work and even laughed out loud at one bit. It feels mildly embarrassing, but then if we don't like our work who will?

Wishing you a good year. Mx

Flowerpot said...

Morton - I'm so sorry about your stepdad. But thanks for the encouragement re the novel. I'm trying my hardest! Keep reading yours too, and wishing you a great 2013.

Totty Teabag said...

I've been following your blog from over here in Spain since I don't know when...you and Pip had a friend called James, and at one point you were asking your readers for suggestions of what your characters might do in a novel you were writing at the time. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer around the same time as Himself, and so I followed your painful journey with my heart in my mouth. Thankfully, although he was considered too old for surgery, my old man has been kept in remission by hormone treatment. I always read your posts in Reader, rather than visit the blog, so I don't suppose I show up in your visitor statistics, but I thought I would stop by and say hello. I spent most of my childhood in the Wendron/Helston area and was a regular visitor to Falmouth, and your posts bring back many happy memories.

Flowerpot said...

Totty - how lovely to hear from you! I'm so glad your husband is being treated successfully - and very glad to meet another reader!