Wednesday 22 July 2015

A humanist wedding

On Monday some of my choir (The Suitcase Singers) were asked to sing at a wedding taken by a friend of mine who is a humanist celebrant.

I wasn't sure what to expect, and the weather was against us to start with. Jen picked me up on Monday morning and we drove through increasing fog and drizzly rain to pick up two other choir members, until we reached Treslothan church. We parked there and rehearsed under a tree with rain dripping from the leaves - very atmospheric, and surprised the dog walkers....

Then we made our way to the house where the wedding was taking place. In fact it took place in the garden (the rain was sort of mizzly by then and it was warm so not too bad) and a semi circle of chairs for the guests had been laid out. The couple were in their late 50s maybe 60s and obviously really happy to have their friends and family around them.

Sally gave a wonderful service - it was incredibly touching, with each member of the family contributing, and we sang 5 numbers including Perfect Day and It’s Getting Better and Dance me to the End of Love.

True to form, I started welling up at the first reading and by the time we got to the vows I was trying desperately to blow my nose quietly, with mascara running down my cheeks. One of my friends whispered, “Sue’s gone,” and then I got the giggles as well.

Thankfully I didn't spoil the wedding (I am known as the Choir Blubometer) and the happy couple were very happy indeed.

As I said to Sally later, “if ever I get married again I’d like a service like that.”
She grinned and gave me a hug. “I hope I can marry you then,” she said.

NOT, I would hasten to add, that I have ANY plans to marry right now.
But you never know, I may get lucky…..

8 comments:

Jane Lovering said...

It sounds beautiful. I love it when people cry at weddings, it shows true emotion! why should everyone be all buttoned-up and fake-smiley...some heartfelt happy tears are worth all the expensive buttercream icing in the world. Cry away (but in a good way, obviously...)

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Jan e- I agree!

Dee said...

Hello, what a beautiful story and I love the name of your choir... The Suitcase Singers. That's fabulous. I'm glad the wedding was lovely in spite of the rain. Hey and I cry at weddings, too, and romance movies and graduations and... I'd think I'd better end this list before it gets too long.

By the way, it was nice to 'meet' you and I'm glad I found your blog today. I really enjoyed the visit... :)

Flowerpot said...

Good to meet you too Dee and I'm glad to find another blubber!

ADDY said...

(((Hugs)))

Flowerpot said...

Ah, thanks Addy!

Chris Stovell said...

I'm so relieved I'm not alone at dissolving into floods at weddings! We attended one a few weeks ago and I could NOT stop! The harder I tried to hold back the tears the greater the flow! But at least I can't sing so there's no chance of me joining your choir and adding another 'Blubometer'!! Cx

Flowerpot said...

Chris - it's always worse when you try and hold it back isn't it?! X