Wednesday 2 September 2015

Outside broadcasting...


A few weeks ago Tiffany Truscott, from BBC Radio Cornwall, got in touch about doing an interview about my new book, Walks in the Footsteps of Cornish Writers.

The plan was go meet at Perranporth, walk along the beach a bit and talk about Winston Graham, the author associated with the Perranporth walk in my book, and also some of the other walks and writers - Patrick Gale and Penzance, and Philip Marsden and St Mawes.

At the time, we were having that monsoon weather, so we agreed on a date (this morning) on the basis that if the weather was bad, we would re-arrange it. Well last night the forecast looked like yesterday - breezy but dry and sunny spells.

This morning I woke to grey clouds, heavy skies and thundery showers. Never mind, I thought, they'll pass. And I didn't have Tiffany's number anyway. I left home and alf way there the heavens opened and another monsoon landed. It was raining so hard I had the wipers on double time and couldn't see the road. I finally arrived in Perranporth in ordinary rain - the usual wet stuff - found Tiff and we decided to wait a few minutes. Eventually she got in the van, when Moll jumped straight on her lap - luckily she likes dogs - and had a chat; decided we'd walk along the beach to the bench in memory of Winston Graham up on the cliffs.

We managed that, and to find the bench, well hidden, on the spot of the bungalow he lived in while writing the first Poldark novels - and then the heavens opened again. We hurried down the steps back onto the beach while I said - "look, some caves here!" so we legged it into the furthest cave, and did the first part of the interview there, with Mollie Dog digging holes at our feet.

Of course by the time we'd walked back along the beach, having finished the interview, the skies had cleared and the rain had stopped. But it was done, and I enjoyed it very much.

The actual broadcast will be next week - she will let me know when and I will pass it on. Watch this space!

8 comments:

ADDY said...

The rain has been torrential here too - I know only too well because I have been having the outside of my house painted!

Flowerpot said...

Addy - my brother's having a new roof fitted - nothing like outside repairs to bring on a monsoon!

Rena George said...

What a great story, Sue. Can't wait to hear that interview now. xx

Flowerpot said...

Rena - it will be a windy and wet interview, Rena!!

Rena George said...

Hi Sue, me again! Just wondering if it will be possible for you to get / make a podcast of your radio interview to put on the blog and Facebook? I'm sure your readers further afield from Cornwall would be interested. I know I would. Maybe Tiff could advise? xx

Flowerpot said...

Rena - thanks for that - I was going to ask her so will see what she can do! XX

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Love that picture!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Kim!