Wednesday 8 March 2017

The Thief


Butter would't melt, and all that....

My cat, Bussie, is now 18 and as irascible as ever, though noticeably more cuddly than he ever was in his youth. Another change is in his attitude towards food. He used to eat anything and everything (like Moll) to the point where my brother in law accused Pip of killing Bussie with kindness (good for Pete), but nowadays he's much more picky, and as a result lost a lot of weight.

So when I came back a few weeks ago and saw both his dishes licked clean, I was surprised but pleased. Then it happened again, several days running and I became suspicious. Particularly when I found a broken dish on the floor.

And with good reason. It turns out that Moll has been jumping onto the chair specially put there for Bussie, and jumping up onto the shelf and eating his food. Hah! I thought. I'll stop her. So I took the chair away, which means that Bussie has to jump onto the table, from there on the dresser and make his way along a narrow shelf to get to his food.

That worked for a few days, then I got back yesterday and found smashed saucers on the floor and a very guilty looking Moll - you know when they won't look at you, and slink along the corridor? That look...

So now when I go out, I have taken to removing Bussie's dishes to the table by the cooker, where neither of them can get at them.
That seems to be working. For the moment....



4 comments:

Trubes said...

You have some real smart animals ther Sue !
Love Di xx

Flowerpot said...

I certainly do - rather too smart!! XX

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Seems like Moll is being a terror not a terrier. Max will nick Lizzy's food whilst I'm stood looking at him. That dog has no shame and is quite brazen about it. I have to stand between them so that Lizzy gets all her meal. She won't eat if I take Max out of the room, something to do with being abandoned and having to scrounge to stay alive, but Max would have the food out of our mouths as well as hers. He looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, it wouldn't, because he scarfs it down so fast, I doubt he even tastes it.

Flowerpot said...

Kim - Moll is just the same - I always say she inhales food rather than eating it!